This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Common Questions and Answers

Nice_vlue_pillsWhen should I put in my repeat request?

When you have only one week's supply of tablets left.  If you are going away you can put in your request earlier than usual - just put a note on it to say why you are requesting your prescription early.

Why don't you take repeat prescriptions over the telephone?

The surgery has over 12,000 patients and we issue prescriptions for about 10,000 items every month. If every patient telephoned us, we would not be able to get any other work done and the telephone would be constantly engaged. Once you have used the computer print-out, you will see how easy it is.

I have lost my computer print-out. What should I do?

No problem!  Just drop a piece of paper into the surgery with your name, address, your doctor's name and the medication you need or use one of the slips available in reception.  When you collect your prescription there will be a new computer list for you to keep.

Will you post my repeat prescription to me?

Yes, of course. We will need a stamped addressed envelope.  If you do not give us an SAE, we will keep your prescription at the surgery for you to collect.

Can you send my prescriptions to any chemist?

We can send a prescripion electronically to any chemist if you have signed up for the service.

Only our local chemists collect/receive paper prescriptions from us.  If you want to collect your prescription from a local chemist, please write the name clearly on your form. 

Our local chemists are Walton Pharmacy, Jubichem, Lloyds, Boots (Banstead) and Asda (Burgh Heath), Day Lewis and Paydens.  If you want your paper prescription sent to another pharmacy, please give us a stamped envelope with their address on it.

I've run out of tablets and need some urgently. What should I do?

If the surgery is closed, please go to your usual chemist with your empty medicine bottle or box and explain the situation to them.  They may issue you with just enough tablets for you to get by for the time being, depending on the medication.  When the surgery is open again, please drop in your repeat prescription request as usual and take this prescription to the same chemist that gave you your temporary supply.

I no longer take some of the tablets that are still on the computer print-out. What should I do?

Do inform the GP if you no longer take medication listed on your repeat prescription so that we can update our records.

Some of my medicines seem to have changed names. Why?

Many medicines have 'trade' names and 'generic' names -e.g. Ventolin and Salbutamol inhalers.  Medically there is no difference between the trade medicine and the generic medicine.  We try to use more generic medicines because they save the NHS money - money that can be used in other areas of patient care.

I have some questions that are not in this leaflet. What should I do?

Please telephone us or pop in to see us. We are here to help you.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website